Municipography is a summary of current issues going through the Raleigh City Council and other municipal departments in the city. The point is to try to deliver any video, photos, and text associated with the discussions happening at City Hall or elsewhere. Since this is a downtown Raleigh blog, the focus is on the center of the city.
Matt Tomasulo and his Walk Raleigh signs have been accepted as a gift to the city. The signs brought international attention to Raleigh and after some time had to be taken down because of the lack of a permit. Still, the signs made their statement and some will be put back up for a 90 day pilot program.
The council unanimously approved.
Union Station Financials
Last month, city staff was authorized to apply for a Transportation Investment Generating Economic
Recovery (“TIGER”) grant for a component of Union Station. The NCDOT and Triangle Transit are helping with the application too and have come up with this financial breakdown:
- Station development: 80% federal, 10% state, 10% city
- Rail/track/platform improvements: 80% federal, 20% state
- Street improvements: 80% federal, 20% city
This puts the city’s cost at $7 million. Remember, that last year $3 million was approved by voters in the Transportation Bond. So the remaining $4 million will have to be worked into next year’s budget cycle. This move helps the grant application.
John Odom voted against this stating concerns about the cost while the rest of the council approved.
Commuter Rail Station Locations
The city’s Passenger Rail Task Force stopped by to endorse the locations of the commuter rail stations in Raleigh. Those four being at:
- Southeast Raleigh at Hammond and Rush Streets
- Downtown Raleigh at the Warehouse District
- NC State near Dan Allen Drive
- West Raleigh near Corporate Center Drive
You can read about more about this as well as light rail and buses at the Transit tag link but for the best wrap up of the commuter rail plans jump to, “Transit, Commuter Rail, and More, We Dive Into The Docs.”
The council approved this unanimously.
- Municipography, Wake County Transit Plan | August 16, 2012
- Municipography, Union Station and Downtown Property Loans | November 10, 2021
- Groundbreaking For Raleigh Union Station March 21, 2015 | September 11, 2014