Here is some great news for the core of downtown Raleigh. The former Wachovia bank building at 227 Fayetteville Street, the building shown above, was recently bought up and renovations are underway for 110,000 square feet of office space. On top of that, Innovate Raleigh, Raleigh’s public/private partnership in fostering innovation, hosted an event last night to show off the building and how it will be built for technology companies and new startups.
I went down to the event and found a packed house with the usual players and more in our city’s ever growing startup scene. Jesse Lipson, founder of ShareFile, was showing off the new Citrix offices being planned for West Street. Adam Klein talked about American Underground in Durham. These speakers and others told stories to a crowd of close to 200 about what startups are doing across the entire triangle.
We’ve discussed coworking space, a real incubator for startups, within downtown Raleigh but 227 is a step up. The people behind this building seem to be really tied into the community and this is a perfect spot to pipeline the rising startups out of the small spaces and into real offices. The Fayetteville Street location provides easy access to all of downtown’s services and is a great location to set up shop.
So on to the building itself and the renderings. Key points to notice in these renderings.
- There is an emphasis on more natural light with many more windows being added.
- One rendering suggests street level retail along Fayetteville Street which is something the building did not have previously.
- The office entrance may be that red square along the side of the building. This may leave the Fayetteville Street facing entrance for a future retail space.
- The outdoor spaces alongside 227 Fayetteville, Exchange Plaza and Market Plaza, may also be getting a facelift.
- 227 Fayetteville Going For ‘Most Desirable Address’ Award (April 27, 2013, 0 Comments)
- HUB Raleigh Contributes To The Evolution of Co-working in Downtown (April 27, 2013, 1 Comments)
- The Raleigh Forum Hosts Cocktail Shindig, Shows Off Coworking Goods (August 2, 2013, 2 Comments)