Beer, bakeries, and bread might be the theme for 2014. Downtown Raleigh continues to see more openings than closings and while some places close, the spaces aren’t empty for long.
For a complete list of eats, drinks, and coffees in and around downtown, make sure to bookmark the DT Eats page. Try something new!
- The Person Street Bar has opened up and quickly become a neighborhood favorite. The Person Street plaza area is really coming around.
- Pictured above is the new Hibernian Pub, rebuilt with two floors and a great outdoor patio.
- The Raleigh Beer Garden is still in the design phases. The upcoming beer spot is having trouble getting through city planning unfortunately. The problem? What else but parking.
- The North Street Beer Station, a bottle shop in Glenwood South, has opened up. It should officially open with fully stocked shelves soon. The place plans to install a takeout window and even deliver beer.
- In the former Draft space in the 510 Glenwood building, The Oakz has opened up.
- A new brewery called Storm Clouds Brewing plans to open in July according to their website. They will occupy the space where Napper Tandy’s used to be on West Street.
- A new coffee shop in Seaboard Station is being worked on called Brew.
- Staying with coffee, the shop Oak City Coffee Roasters have set up on West Hargett Street near the train tracks.
- Happy and Hale, the downtown juice and veggie people, want to set up in one of the kiosks in City Plaza.
- The owner of Taverna Agora, Lou Moshakos, wants to move his restaurant from North Raleigh to the empty building between Second Empire and the Holiday Inn on Hillsborough Street.
- Moshakos is also bringing a Carolina Ale House to a new building at the corner of Tucker and Glenwood Avenue.
- Also for Hillsborough Street, the restaurant space on the top floor of the Holiday Inn has been remodeled into the Skye Tower Lounge.
- A new bread store, Boulted Bread, is planned to open in the cluster of retail shops on West South Street.
- A dessert and cocktail bar called Bittersweet is close to opening in the PNC Tower along Martin Street.
- The tasty treats just keep coming. Lucettegrace is a bakery planning to open in the former Crossfit space on the 200 South Salisbury block.
- Tasty 8’s will be a gourmet hot dog joint opening on Fayetteville Street where Spize used to be on the 100 block.
- The Berkeley Cafe has now reopened. The owner of the former Sadlack’s Heroes on Hillsborough Street has given it a little makeover and made a cool hangout spot.
- Bada Bing pizza has been taken over and is going to become DeMo’s Pizzeria and Deli. They should have the remodel done with the restaurant open this month or next.
- Fall 2014 Restaurant Roundup (February 23, 2017, 6 Comments)
- Summer 2014 Restaurant Roundup (July 23, 2014, 20 Comments)
- Winter 2015 Restaurant Roundup (February 9, 2015, 14 Comments)